A specialist insurer with over 100 years experience
Hiscox is a leading specialist insurer, with roots dating back to 1901. We are not a traditional insurer. We target specific types of insurance in which we develop expertise, often focusing on areas other insurers find too complex to insure. By challenging convention in each specific market we offer market leading products and services to US businesses.
A global presence
We have a strong international presence, with offices in 14 countries. We also write a range of insurance through the Lloyd’s of London insurance market. Through Lloyd’s of London we have been insuring US businesses for over 40 years.
Hiscox in the US
As a specialist insurer we are committed to meeting the needs of US businesses. We operate in all US states and the District of Columbia, and offer a range of specialty insurance products through US based brokers as well as directly online to small businesses. Learn more about our small business insurance direct products.
Our companies in the US include Hiscox Inc. and Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is a Chicago, IL domiciled insurer admitted or licensed to do business in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is rated A (Excellent)1 by A.M. Best with a group financial size category (FSC) of XII, proving we have strong capital reserves.
Hiscox Inc., a DE corporation, that does business in California as Hiscox Insurance Agency, is an approved Lloyd’s cover holder and underwrites surplus lines business on behalf of Lloyd’s Syndicates 33 and 3624. Syndicate 33 is rated A (Excellent)2 by A.M. Best and Syndicate 3624 benefits form the overall group rating of Lloyd’s which is A (Excellent)3 . Lloyd’s syndicates are restricted in doing business in the USA and its territories as they are not US-based insurers. The business we write on behalf of Lloyd’s Syndicates 33 and 3624 in the US is placed through US insurance brokers.
For more information visit the Hiscox investor site.
How we’re different
Our people, underwriting expertise and our relentless commitment to exceptional customer service make us different.
No two businesses are exactly the same and we are committed to offering flexible and intelligent underwriting solutions, with coverage tailored to a business’s needs. We also don’t shy away from complex risks.
These are the fundamental principles we believe in and they are qualities for which we are known. At the heart of this is a desire to challenge convention in our industry to deliver better products and service to our customers.
Courage – dare to be different
Quality – good enough is not enough
Integrity – true to our word
Excellence in execution – see it through, thoroughly
Human – fair, firm and inclusive
For more information about our insurance products see:
Insurance products through brokers
Insurance products for small business owners
Not located in the US? Learn more about our business and household insurance products in the UK, including but not limited to: professional indemnity, public liability, building and contents, and cotents only insurance.
What is Commercial General Liability Insurance?
General liability insurance protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and damage to property. Watch our guide to general liability insurance:
What is Covered Under a General Liability Insurance Policy?
- Alleged or actual negligence
- Damage to third party property
- Personal injury
- Advertising injury
- Electronic data liability
- Medical expenses
- Worldwide insurance coverage
- Defense costs
- Actions of your full-time employees and temporary staff
- Supplemental payments
Need Additional Coverage? Hiscox Also Covers Other Coverage Options
General liability insurance will not cover you for everything. Some people buy other liability insurance along with general liability to protect their company’s most valuable assets.
Why do you need professional liability insurance?
Professional liability insurance, also called errors and omissions insurance (E & O insurance) or indemnity insurance, protects your business if you are sued for negligently performing your services, even if you haven’t made a mistake. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Dissatisfied Client: A consultant is hired to increase a company’s efficiency. The consultant advises the company to implement several internal processes, however the recommendations are not implemented as specified and productivity decreases rather than improving, causing the client to sue the consultant. A professional liability insurance policy could protect the consultant, even if no mistake was made.
- Negligent Acts: A photographer is contracted to photograph an engagement party, but forgets to take pictures of the graduate with key family members. The client makes a claim against the photographer for failure to deliver the services agreed upon. A professional liability insurance policy could protect the photographer if such a claim is made.
You should seriously consider professional liability insurance coverage if your business:
- provides a professional service.
- regularly gives advice to clients.
- is requested by a client to have professional liability insurance to complete a contract.
Get Liability Insurance that best meets your needs.
Professional liability insurance will not protect you from everything. For example, it will not provide indemnity from another person’s claims of bodily injury. Some people buy other business insurance along with professional liability including:
- General Liability Insurance, also known as commercial general liability insurance (CGL), is coverage for your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and damage to property.
- Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) is enhanced insurance that combines general liability insurance and property insurance.
Additional coverage benefits:
We offer additional benefits outlines below:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Work done by temporary staff: Our professional liability insurance covers work done by your employees, temporary staff and independent contractors.
- Past work covered: Unlike some insurers, we cover unknown claims arising from work completed before you were even insured with us, back to an agreed date.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a U.S. territory or Canada.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you even if the claim has no basis and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
Why Choose Hiscox?
We specialize in professional liability insurance for a range of professional services businesses.
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Passion for service: Knowledgeable agents provide exceptional service – 4.8/5 customer satisfaction rating.
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage. See some sampleprofessional liability insurance quotes.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
Learn more about the benefits of choosing Hiscox insurance.